How long does a foreigner and a South African required to be married in order to receive a Spousal visa?

Once a foreigner and a South African citizen or permanent resident holder marry each other, a Temporary Residence Spousal visa can be obtained in order for the foreigner to reside in South African with his / her spouse.

If the marriage is less than 5 years old, Temporary residence can only be submitted at that time.  But, if a marriage is 5 years and older, Permanent residency can then be applied for by the foreigner thereafter.