I am a South African returning home, does my foreign spouse need a visa to immigrate to South African with me?

A spouse of a South African citizen or South African permanent resident requires a spousal visa in order to enter and stay in South Africa. Initially a South African Spousal temporary residence visa would be issued to the spouse, this visa can be issued between 1 and 3 years.

Permanent residency can be applied for if you have been married for 5 years or more. It should be noted this visa does not allow the spouse to work or run a business. A further endorsement is required to allow these actions within South Africa.